It’s important that you know when it is appropriate to use a Separation Agreement.

You should seriously consider entering into a written Separation Agreement if you and your ex-partner are considering getting divorced or dissolving your civil partnership, but haven’t definitely decided to split up.

You should also consider entering into an Agreement if you are not able to divorce or dissolve your civil partnership – perhaps because you have been together for less than one year in England or Wales – but want to agree who pays what and who is then to be the person to apply for the divorce, for example.