Getting divorced or dissolving a civil partnership can be an emotional, worrying and difficult time. At such a time you need someone on your side who will be there for you. A family law solicitor will support you through the divorce process, and will give you advice that you can trust about the things that matter most – your children, your home and your financial security.
Should you use a Family Law solicitor?
Your solicitor will listen to you and discuss your options with you. They will let you know where you stand, tell you what your rights are and help you to understand what your ex-partner’s rights are as well. They will try to make the divorce as simple and as stress-free as possible.
If you have been living together but were not married, a family solicitor can help you understand your rights on a break-up.
* The process for dissolving a civil partnership is the same as for a divorce, with the exception that the legal definition of adultery relates to heterosexual sex only, so adultery cannot be a reason for dissolving a civil partnership. In a civil partnership, being unfaithful would instead be unreasonable behaviour which is a reason for a divorce.
You should seek legal advice as soon as you can if:
- you are at risk of having nowhere to live
- you are at risk of domestic violence or abuse
- your ex-partner is not giving you enough access to your children
- you are in a vulnerable financial position compared with your ex-partner
- you are unsure what a fair settlement between you would look like
- you have a lot of assets
- you got married abroad, or you, your ex-partner or your children have non-UK nationality.
For more details on this or any other family law related matter, please do not hesitate to contact solicitor Andrew Wraith in the first instance. Prism Family Law offers a free initial consultation. You can call us on 0191 269 6871 or email us via [email protected]. You can also follow us on twitter and LinkedIn and Facebook for the latest news and views on family law.