Voluntary Accommodation in Child Services Protection

If it is not possible for the person who is alleged to pose a risk of significant harm to the child or children to move out, the council can ask those with parental responsibility to place a child in ‘voluntary accommodation’ under its care, normally in a foster home or with other family members. The council may also do this if it has other concerns about a child remaining at home. You will still have parental responsibility and can ask for any such voluntary arrangement to come to an end at any time, but if the concerns remain, then this may prompt the council to issue care proceedings to prevent the arrangement from coming to an end.